Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pancreatic cancer surgery was 14 months ago today...

It is amazing that it has been 14 months since I had surgery. I must admit that this has been one of the most difficult years of my life, both physically and mentally. If you don't keep a tight grip on yourself it is very easy to just let depression take over and then you are in a whole new world of trouble...because depression will eat you alive and make you think of crazy things. Believe me you have your plate full just healing after surgery, you don't have the energy for depression.

I always thought that I would have heart disease and that is what I would die of, hopefully at an old age...my grandmother, mother, sister, aunts and cousins all have/had heart disease, oh I have a-fib, high blood pressure and high cholesterol but not the problems they all have or had. No one that is blood related to me had cancer so that really was not a large concern for me...haha, that joke was on me!!! I guess it was like everything else when it came to my blood relatives, I have always been the odd person out, not really belonging anywhere, not quite like them, and sure as hell not accepted by them. Guess that is why most of them refer to me as the "black sheep" of the family.

Actually, my aunts, cousins, brother, nieces and nephews that are blood related don't even know that I had cancer surgery or that I have NH lymphoma. They have not spoken to me in years, most of them since my grandmother died, a few had been in touch from time to time over the years but not in the last 20 yrs. or so...The only reason any of them will be sorry when I die is they will not be getting anything in the will. My sister always tells everybody I have no children so her kids are my heirs....WRONG, none of the 3 talk to me or treat me like an aunt, so why should they get anything? I made the decision last year before I had surgery how my things would go, Steve gets everything, or if he precedes me St. Judes Childrens Hospital will get it. After having cancer I can not think of a better place for all my hard earned money to go...no child should ever have to go thru this and parents certainly should not have to worry about the bills. So that will be my gift to them.

I am so thankful to Dr. Landrio for finding my cancer,  Dr. Adams for doing my surgery and Dr. Stewart for my continuing care. I know I am one of the lucky ones, and I am so grateful to be alive. Please do not waste your life, it is precious and can be gone in the blink of an eye. Don't waste time on petty things that do not matter, rejoice in the miracle of life, hug your kids, kiss your loved ones and tell everyone how much they mean to you...don't put it off or say you will do it tomorrow, tomorrow will not come for us one day. Health, happiness, peace and love my friends!