Friday, August 19, 2011

Mammogram, Bone Density Scan & Blood Work (4 tubes) done...met a really nice woman...

Geez yesterday was certainly busy. I went to the Diagnostic Center and had a mammogram and a bone density scan, then to Lab Corp for bloodwork for my doctor's appointment next week. You know how coincidences happen? Well yesterday they reversed the order of my tests. I was scheduled to have the mammogram first, but had the bone scan first. After the scan the tech took me to the dressing room to change and wait for my mammogram...instead of one of those two techs doing my mammogram, another lady from the next area came over and got me and said "come with me I am going to do your mammogram". Well of course when I open my gown there is my scar, from breastbone to bellybutton, she asked what had happened...long story short she has breast cancer stage 4, spread to her lungs & neck. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I will never forget her beautiful smile and sweet dimples. Here she is worrying about me and she is going through so much herself. For those of you that do not know there is NO stage 5 in cancer.

I feel blessed to have met such a sweet person, actually I have met a few really nice people recently. It is like some people are drawn to me, they actually come over to me and strike up a conversation and then one thing leads to another. I have even exchanged phone numbers with a couple of people, and believe me I will not forget Carla from yesterday...as I said earlier she had the sweetest smile and dimples, when she smiled her whole face just twinkled. I do not know why I was supposed to meet her but I do know that there was some divine intervention at work yesterday, meeting her and talking with her was just what I needed.

I have been feeling a little icky recently and I hope my doctor's appointment next week goes ok...these days I question all the bad feelings I have, you just never know what is going on. I try to avoid sick people, no spleen makes me more likely to get sick so I am more careful these days. But you always wonder if it is the lymphoma acting up. I really hope not because if it changes I will have to do chemo and I am NOT looking forward to that. I don't care how many improvements they have made with it. I know it still makes you feel like crap and then there is the thing they told me about it won't cure me, it will just prolong my life for a little while. So I don't know if it is really worth it or not. We will see when the time comes. One reason I am just a little concerned is I found out yesterday that I have lost another 5 lbs. and I am not trying to loose weight...I am trying to hold the weight I have. So may I say to all my dear friends that think you have to loose every "extra" pound you may have...Thank God I had a few "extra" pounds when this all started, or I would look like a stick with hair, which is kinda what I look like now. lol

Well it rained overnight and it is around 60 degrees so I am going to go restart my day by having a cup of tea on the front porch. My front porch has become one of my favorite places to be. I have always loved having a full length covered porch, but I must say I have enjoyed it more in the past 14 months...I guess I slowed down and took time to smell the roses. Cancer does that to you...you definately rearrange the things that are important to you and you are happy to drop the things that make you unhappy. For once in my life I am trying to put myself first, which has always been hard for me. I have always been seeking the family I did not have.

I think some of us are born caregivers, it takes a different kind of person to want to take care of others...I don't care if it is nursing someone that is sick, cooking a meal for a sick or injured friend or just being a truly nice and giving person. I have in one sense or another been a caregiver since I was a young child...my Momma got sick when I was around 11 or 12 and I remember helping her even back then. It has always made me feel good to do something for someone and I think that is where I get it from. So this "shoe on the other foot" has come as a stinging blow.

My wish for all of you is to be thankful for your health, all the blessings you have and the people that love and care about you. Live your life to the fullest, don't waste the most precious gift you have ever received...hug a kid, kiss a loved one and tell them how much they mean to you, remember you may not have the chance later.

Positive thoughts = positive energy, let's rock the world!!! 

Health, happiness, peace and love my friends...  :)