Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mother's Day has different meanings, for different people...

Everyone is eagerly awaiting Mother's day this Sunday. I am glad for everyone that has had a wonderful mother in their lives. For some of us that is not exactly the case. Oh, I have a mother, in fact I had 2...a Momma that I love with all my heart that raised me, fed me, clothed me, sent me to school, helped with homework, sat up with me when I was sick, told me about the birds and bees, saved her babysitting money to buy my class ring and all the other things Mother's do for their children. The thing is that wonderful woman was in fact my maternal grandmother. You see my biological mother, Margaret (Jack), was 17 1/2 years old when she had me. Oh I guess she tried, but when I was 6 months old she decided for whatever her reasons to give me to my grandmother and step-grandfather. These two wonderful human beings took me into their home with open arms, as if I had been born to them. They raised me like I was their child, even changing my last name and sending me to school as if I was theirs. So to be perfectly honest I am always torn at Mother's Day...yes I have a biological Mother that turned her back on me, had 2 other children, took in 2 foster children, took care of and actually had guardianship over several people from Lynchburg mental facility, helped my sister raise her kids and gave her a home even in her adult life. A mother who went 15 years one time without ever speaking to me. A mother who walked past me in the middle of Apple Blossom mall and did not even speak to me. A mother who never once sent me a birthday card, Christmas present, wedding gift, or anything else my whole life. Until the last 3 months of her life. I went to visit her in Chesapeake after she had been released from the hospital, to come home to die. What was to be a 1 week visit turned into 6 weeks...I knew she was dying and I stayed and helped care for her in the final weeks of her life. It is a shame that it was in those last 6 weeks, that my mother finally admitted to me that she had no way of making it up to me for the way she had treated me all her life and she was sorry. Well by that time I was 50 years old, I told her everything was ok, so she could die in peace...but it was not ok and it never will be ok. I can forgive her for most of the things she did to me or did not do for me, but the 1 thing I can't forget and still am stinging over was the fact that she also told me my biological father wanted her to have an abortion, she thought about it, could not do it, but thought that it would have been better for everybody if she had. So what can I say? This is the one and only time I will acknowledge her, I am going to post the only picture I have of my mother and me together as adults, this was taken around Mother's day of 2002...she passed away 7/2/2002....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or thoughts. This is to make me feel better but if it helps someone that is even better.