Sunday, May 22, 2011

Do what you can...don't worry about what you can't...

Do what you can, don't worry about the things you can not do. I used to worry about the dust on the furniture, dust bunnies under the furniture, laundry and dirty dishes. I wanted every thing to be just so, and I usually worked until everything was dusted, shined, cleaned and washed...that seems like a lifetime ago because in a way it was. My birthday may be in February but I was given a new chance at life June 4th, 2010. On that day everything in my life changed, and I do mean everything. Being a pancreatic cancer survivor has definately taught me what is really important and it is not having the cleanest house on the street. Believe me, if you are ever faced with a life threatening disease you will not think about the 2 loads of laundry in the hamper. This is the one time in your life that you will zero in on the important things. Of course you are thinking about your survival and all that, but you are also going to think about your spouse, family and friends. In my case, I don't have a lot of family but I do have a loving husband that I have been with almost 20yrs., and my biggest concern is what will happen to him if I am not around. That is what gives most cancer survivors the drive to keep going, you want to get the little things in order "just in case". Oh, I have already taken care of the will, power of attorney & living will, I did all that before surgery, I am talking about all the little things that he has come to depend on me for. I get up every morning and pack his lunch, have coffee, make sure he takes his mornings pills and see him off to work. I am here when he gets home from work every day, I cook most of our food, clean the house, do laundry and I pay our bills. This is my job and I love it. I must say that in the last year and a half I have not made as many meals from scratch, there is dust everywhere and there are a few loads of laundry to be done. But I would not trade our time just sitting on the front porch rocking, talking and being together for the cleanest house in the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or thoughts. This is to make me feel better but if it helps someone that is even better.